About Işık University
Since its founding in 1996, Işık University has strengthened today to 5 Faculties with 35 undergraduate programs, two Vocational Schools with 21 associate degree programs, Graduate Institutes in Social Sciences and Applied Sciences, a School of Foreign Languages, and a Center for Continuing Education.
Işık University, a central focus of the Feyziye Schools Foundation 133 cultural life, with its strong faculty membership and proactive administration, has established an institution that provides the work and academic worlds with future "GOOD" individuals who have vision and conviction.
To answer today's demands, Işık University has established two campuses - in Şile and Maslak - set near the modern city life as well as in a natural environment on 490,000 square meters with modern infrastructure, classrooms, dormitories, libraries, social and athletic facilities, and an art gallery. The Faculty of Fine Arts, the Vocational Schools, the Center for Continuing Education, the Social Sciences Institute and the Applied Sciences Institute are located on the Maslak Campus; all other faculties and departments are found on the Şile Campus.
Işık University Code of Honor
1. We, Işık University faculty, administrative staff and students abide by the terms of its academic honesty code in all academic and administrative work. We commit ourselves to maintaining all accepted principles of academic honesty and integrity . Therefore, any deviation from these standards is an ethical breach and a violation of the Academic Integrity Policy of Işık University.
Violations of Işık University's Code of Honor include:
a) For students
Cheating, assisting or ignoring the cheating of others.
Receiving or providing unauthorized assistance during any examination or in connection with any work (e.g. assignments, projects) completed or submitted for academic credit.
Submitting another's work as your own.
Plagiarism, defined as presenting the work or ideas of others as one's own without proper acknowledgement of the source in homework or term projects.
Falsifying or fabricating information.
Resubmission of previously written work (in whole or part) for grading without professorial consent.
Violating copyright protection; copying or using copyrighted material (without permission).
b) For faculty and staff
Plagiarism, falsification, distortion, rerun publication or illegal acts of publication.
Failing upon publication to acknowledge the persons, institutions or establishments that support the research study.
Failing to observe ethical rules in carrying out research.
Misusing resources, facilities,equipment and funding allocated for scientific research.
Making ungrounded accusations related to the ethical conduct of others.
2. We, the members of Işık University community, do not partake in dishonest actions, academic or otherwise; we behave honestly in all our endeavors.
3. We, the members of Işık University community, maintain standards of behaviour and integrity both within and outside the University in accord with Işık University's reputation.
4. We stand against all discrimination on the basis of religion, language, race, etnicity, creed or gender. We do not misuse our hierarchical power or position.
5. We exercise our freedom to express our scientific, artistic and managerial opinions. We respect the academic freedom of others.
6. We are mindful and respectful of one another on or off campus. While on campus, we avoid any harmful act that would damage the natural or built environment, or any fixed assets.
IŞIK University: From Past to Present
IŞIK University, founded in 1996, was established on the educational excellence achieved by the 130-year-old Feyziye Schools Foundation (FMV). The institution opened its doors as the Feyz-i Sibyan School on December 14, 1885, in Salonica.
The institution has been witness to Turkish history from the Ottoman Empire to the founding of the Republic and national sovereignty under the leadership and vision of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Early in the 20th century, the FMV moved to Istanbul and established a campus in Nişantaşı, Şişli, where it still maintains a primary and high school. In 1935, during the celebration of its 50th anniversary and with the blessings of its most prominent former pupil, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, Fevziye Schools adopted the name of "IŞIK" (pron. ih-shik).
In 1985, at its centennial anniversary, FMV expanded its operations with the addition of a primary and high school campus in Maslak, Sarıyer, in Istanbul. A decade later, in 1995, FMV entered the higher education sector with the founding of Işık University at the Maslak Campus. In 2000, an additional K-12 campus with a kindergarten, primary school, and high school was established on the Asian side of Istanbul in Erenköy. Işık University began offering instruction at the Şile campus in 2003.
Our university opens the door to the future for our youth through contemporary education provided by our country's leading academicians taking inspiration from the IŞIK traditions.